PSHS Guide to Scheduling

Believe it or not, it is almost that time of year again to start things about next year’s schedules. For some, this might be no big deal, but for most, this could be a pretty stressful process.

With the assistance of one of our guidance counselors, Mrs.Calderon, I have all the things you’ll need to know about the upcoming scheduling and how to make it less stressful for everyone. 

One of the first questions you may be asking yourself is “how should I prepare?” and the answer is pretty simple: pay attention.

Mrs. Calderon laid the whole process out:

“We will come into your English classes, and we have presentations that we’ll go over with each grade level, and with each grade grade level, there are different requirements that the students may need, so we’ll have a presentation with all 9th graders, 10th, an 11th, and then following that, we do individual meetings with the students to see if they have any questions or concerns about their schedule.”

Now, for all the new freshmen, this might seem overwhelming and confusing; however, the guidance counselors know exactly how to help. They will guide students in the right direction to everything from testing to graduation requirements.

There is a lot to consider for every grade, but there is one thing that Mrs. Calderon thinks should be number one:

“Students should take into consideration possibly looking ahead to what they’re going to do after high school, so if there are certain classes that meet their interest, it is good to sign up for those classes that match the needs of the student.”

For some of you, you might be thinking, “I finished all my credits, so my next year(s) will be easy!”

However, this is a misconception. With all your high school credits done that frees up time to work on college preparation. 

Mrs. Calderon’s advice is to think ahead for what colleges will notice on your transcript.

She said, “Look at electives that haven’t been taken previously that will help fill the schedule, but seniors also have to keep in mind that they’ll be going through the college application process, and if they are applying to schools, they [college admissions] still have to see that they’re taking rigorous courses to see that their senior schedule isn’t just too easy.”

For all grades, to make the process easier look at any new classes, first. For instances, look at classes that haven’t been available to certain grade levels yet and classes that are new for the whole school. Pay attention during the presentations, and if one is still having trouble, simply ask questions.

Mrs. Calderon and Mr. Vagas are always available to help, and they will have the answers to any concerns one may have for any class, old or new. 

If one is still stressed, don’t worry because Mrs.Calderon has some pretty simple advice.

She said, “With scheduling, just be aware of the add/drop dates. If you don’t get scheduled into a class you had originally requested or if you have a change that you want to make, meet with Mr.Vagas or I prior to that 10 day drop date, or as soon as you know you want to change it; I think we can help make that less stressful.”