Lets take a Stand- Red Ribbon Week

Lets take a Stand- Red Ribbon Week

October 24th through the 27th begins Red Ribbon Week- the oldest and largest drug prevention program in the nation, reaching millions of young people each year. Many people do not understand why this week is important.

“I have lost friends from overdosing and one of my good friends killed himself. It was hard seeing my own friends battle through drug abuse. We look at the newspaper and see that northern Ohio has the highest amount of people overdosing. It’s so eye opening and considering how much it is happening here,” Principal Snyder said.

Schools in Poland Ohio are taking Red Ribbon Week serious. Dobbins is celebrating Red Ribbon Week with a week full of activities including a Give Back Day, collecting change for families at the Sojourner House and a Family Red Ribbon Week Pledge with 5 ways that each family can make healthy choices. The family pledges, red hands, will be organized together in the shape of a red ribbon with the saying, Hand in Hand, We Take A Stand to Be Drug Free.

“The week’s efforts are to help students grow up safe, healthy and drug-free,” Mrs. Mechling said.

Mc Kinley Elementary School is having a spirit week to honor the awareness. But they are taking a different approach to it.

“We are having Misfit Sock Day and Mix-It-Up at lunch so No One Eats Alone Day.They will wear their mismatched socks and dress to show their personality! Students will be receiving different colored wristbands in homeroom and will sit according to their wristband color at lunch. There will be conversation starters at each table to encourage students to break down social barriers and create a welcome environment for all,” Mrs.Lukach said.

The high school will be passing out red ribbons for students to wear throughout the day on Friday.