Senioritis

Senioritis

According to Oxford Dictionary, “Senioritis” denotes “a supposed affliction of students in their final year of high school or college, characterized by a decline in motivation or performance.” Amid the school year, and, more importantly, as the school year continues, students oftentimes negligently transform their work ethic; this derives from students feeling burned out. In a similar fashion, this may be the case for students of all age ranges; however, such mentalities are incrementally skewed toward seniors. 

Rapidly approaching, as the graduation date, May ?th, creeps closer, a burgeoning amount of students start getting accepted into college, acquiring scholarships, and even obtaining a tentative plan for their life. As a result, seniors begin to deem the termination of the school year as inconsequential, which, in a domino effect, plagues the students with the prevalent case of “Senioritis.” 

Senioritis is not a case you want to catch, however. As reported by Warner, staggering statistics delineate how  

Hundreds of offers were rescinded this year – to Washington state, where one would-be frosh was caught off-guard in mid-August, when he learned, after spending two days registering for classes, that he was no longer welcome on campus, valiant admissions directors are taking on the scourge of daydreaming, lollygagging, and general low-energy aimlessness that for generations has characterized human behavior in the waning weeks of senior year. (2006) 

In essence, finishing off the year on a strong note may seem trivial in the midst of all the upcoming excitement. Nonetheless, relinquishing or slacking in the final semester of high school can jeopardize the prize that is yet to come. Adversely, colleges may rescind their acceptance letters, revoke scholarships, and, in worst cases, students may have to retake their senior year. 

Trapped in quicksand? That is okay; here are some tips to help pull you out of Senioritis: 

• Remember what you are working toward   

You have spent a longevity, since kindergarten, working hard to attain your aspirations; do not give up now! Arguably, the work you are doing may seem frivolous now, but it can help prepare you for the workload you will face in college. In addition, even after you are accepted into a school, universities will still look at grades throughout the duration of your senior year; thus, maintaining your work ethic at the end of the school year is equally integral!

• Make a checklist of school work that needs to be accomplished

Oftentimes, making a list of the homework that needs to be completed can serve as a reminder and motivator to accomplish the work before it is due. 

• Think of what motivated you in the previous years

Think of what motivated you to work hard in the past; in particular, was it a goal in mind such as a certain GPA, grade, reward etc? Endeavor to set goals that continue to work well. 

• Persevere through “Third-quarter Slump.” 

According to Urban Dictionary (2011), “Third-quarter Slump” is defined as the third term of the school year, after winter break, where students begin to feel tired of school and the amplified workload, and some students’ grades even drop an entire letter. Furthermore, as this point in the year rolls around, many students begin to lose focus of their priorities: slack. 

To conclude, while this time of the year can be exceedingly strenuous, it is paramount to continue to persevere when conflicted with adversity; otherwise, you may find yourself facing a series of greater repercussions, including college rescindment and a pessimistic future alteration. Hence, if you happen to become afflicted with Senioritis, do not fret; just make sure you are making an effort to keep up with all of your schoolwork before it is too late!

Source

https://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003286270_uwadmissions03m.html