An Overview on Financial Aid

Many seniors and their parents, and possibly even some underclassmen have questions regarding financial aid such as, what is it? Why is it important? How do I apply for financial aid? Well, look no further; we took the time to talk to Mr. Vagas, of the guidance department, to ask him about his thoughts on financial aid and to gain a deeper understanding on its importance for the seniors who are attending post-secondary schooling.

As many of you already know, guidance held a seminar on financial aid Thursday,  October 8. In case you missed it, or need a recap, Mr. Vagas provided some insights.

When describing financial aid, Mr. Vagas said, “Financial aid consists of funds provided to students and families to help pay for postsecondary educational expenses.” 

Students should always feel free to stop by or call the guidance office for questions in regard to financial aid. 

For those wondering where to search for financial aid, and who to ask, the monthly bulletin all seniors receive, “Senior Guidelines,”  lists any scholarships and financial aid opportunities.

“Senior Guidelines” is a great place to start a search for financial aid opportunities. 

Also, if students or parents missed out on Thursday’s presentation, or simply would like to hear it again, the presentation on financial aid will be posted on the Google Classroom for the Class of 2021 and will also be made available on the high school webpage. 

Now, with all these great opportunities, some may still be wondering if there is an opportunity for out there.

Mr. Vagas said, “Yes, there is an opportunity for every student to find some form of financial aid. However, financial aid comes in different types. Scholarships and grants are types of financial aid that do not have to be repaid. Scholarships are available based on merit, skill, or unique characteristics.

He added, “Academic scholarships are provided by the college/university and are usually automatically awarded based on GPA and test scores. Local scholarships are awarded for various achievements, programs and circumstances. Grants are awarded based on financial need. Loans are a type of financial aid that are borrowed and need to be repaid over time. Just because you are offered a loan does not mean you have to accept it.” 

Clearly, there are countless opportunities for financial aid, and students can apply for the ones that best suit them. It goes without saying that it is highly recommended that all students take advantage of financial aid and use it in their benefit. Post secondary school can be costly, but with this extra help, it can end up saving money down the road. 

Overall, it is never too early to start looking into your financial aid options especially if you are a senior. Financial aid is not a one size fits all, and you may qualify for a scholarship or grant you were not aware of, so do not be afraid to do some research and ask questions.