WKBN Scholarship Contest Opportunity

WKBN Scholarship Contest

Many juniors and seniors in high school right now are looking for good solutions for scholarship opportunities to help their financial situations for college. The local news station (WKB) is offering their scholarship contest. They give this contest every year.

According to WKBN, “The 2023 Caring for Our Community” campaign kicks off the year with the Tom Holden Memorial Scholarship Contest.  This is open to junior and senior high school students in Mahoning, Columbiana, Trumbull and Mercer counties.”

Tom Holden was one of the main masters in creating this scholarship contest. Here is a little bio on Tom Holden.

Wednesday night is the induction ceremony for the Youngstown Press Club Hall of Fame. One of WKBN’s most legendary broadcasters is being honored. Former WKBN anchorman Tom Holden was the most recognizable name in local TV news during his time. He started anchoring in the mid-1970s and retired in 2005, the same year he died. He passed away in 2005 and the scholarship contest was created a year later. (WKBN)

In order to sign up, you must follow a couple steps.  Students must submit a written script for a :30 commercial for their selected organization which will be scored based on their creativity and original idea. This idea for the contest will be due March 3. There is prize money as well including a 1500 dollar scholarship. There will be 100 dollars awarded to the 5 runners up. The winning person will get a commercial that will air as well. 

Last year’s winner was Nathan Baird of Struthers High School. He wrote his commercial about suicide prevention and how to detect these factors. 

Here is a link to the scholarship information if you are interested!