Return of the Interact Club!

With the chaos of COVID-19 finally coming to a close, Poland is near to normalcy in 2023. Old clubs and organizations are now regrouping and coming back strong, most notably the Interact Club.  

Interact club is a group that finds volunteer opportunities and other ways to help their community. The Poland Rotary brought this global organization as an opportunity at PSHS. At Poland, the club raises funds in case anyone is ever in need, or in the case that a tragedy occurs. Therefore, along with volunteering with organizations in the community, the club is able to aid those in need.

The club’s advisor is history teacher Mr. Martin, and the club president is senior Olivia Zura. Together, the two work on agenda’s for club meetings and relaying information to the club members. Though Mr. Martin advises the club, he encourages the students to take the initiative and come to him with ideas. 

A specific activity the club has as a main project this year is volunteering at the Poland Way Retirement Community. There, students have the opportunity to participate in events with the residents, and visit with them. 

When asked about the purpose of the club, Martin says it is “to make people feel better. I think that’s why we like going to the Poland Way retirement home.”

Volunteering time there means students have the opportunity to connect with residents who might not have visitors otherwise.

Zura offers some insight to the volunteering experience: “I think it’s fun more than anything…you get to talk to people that you usually wouldn’t.”

Moreover, the students gain important skills that last a lifetime, such as leadership, communication, responsibility, and commitment, which is the foundation of the club.

Though the club has officially started again, the future of the club is still yet to be determined.

Some hopes and aspirations Mr. Martin and Zura have are to expand the projects and activities the club does, and to overall include as many students as possible. More members means more opportunities to help people!